Jitterbug IDO 2015
Age Divisions: see in General Provisions, Book 2, 3.4 Age Division.
Slow round only Adult and Adults2.
1. Music: Organizer´s music in all rounds EXCEPT the final round of Jitterbug Solo Show, where dancers may use their own choice of music. Music and style for Jitterbug must be from the time 1930's to 1960's.
2. Duration of Performance: 1:30 minutes long, to conform to the end of the musical phrase, in all rounds EXCEPT the final round of Jitterbug Solo Show. Music chosen for Jitterbug Solo Show final round performances must be 2 minutes but not exceed 2 minutes 15 seconds.
1. Tempo Adult I and Juniors: 46 – 48 bars per minute (184 – 192 bpm) in the Fast Jitterbug
Tempo Adult II: 42 – 44 bars per minute (168 – 176 bpm) in the Fast Jitterbug
2. Tempo: 27 – 28 bars per minute (108 – 112 bpm) in the Slow Jitterbug, Organizer's music.
3. Tempo: Free in the Jitterbug Solo Show. Music of the couples own choice.
3. Characteristics and Movement: Jitterbug is a social dance that falls into the Swing dance family. It has a long tradition and is originated in America. There is a well-documented literature how to perform the dance.Acrobatics, lifts, separations and jumps are allowed and encouraged but should if possible be connected to the musical phrase.
4. Typical Movements: A mix of steps and movements taken from other Swing dances such as
Boogie-Woogie, Be Bop, Lindy Hop, Bugg, West and East Coast Swing, etc. Dancers should avoid using obvious choreography but rather improvisation, which is the true heart of the Jitterbug so that it is possible to adjust the steps to the music.
5. Lifts: Lifts permitted only in the final solo performance. Lifts are forbidden in Children’s age divisions.
6. Hold: The main part of the performance should be danced with a hold.
7. Format Qualifying Rounds: One tempo only, the Fast Jitterbug.
a. In the opening round all couples shall be seen by the Judges in a presentation dance for 1 minute. In the event of many entries and therefore the floor will be too crowded, the presentation dance could be divided in two or more groups.
b. The couples will thereafter be divided into heats. Number of couples in the same heat is depending of the size of the dance floor but should not exceed 6 couples. Each heat will never last longer than 1 minute 30 seconds.
8. Format Quarter-final Round: As for above, plus: Couples will be qualified to the semi-final by dancing also the Slow Jitterbug. The Cross - System in both dances combined, will be used to determine which couples qualify for the final round.
9. Format Semi-final Round: As for above.
10. Final Round: Couples will dance three dances in the final. Slow Jitterbug all together for 1 minute 30 seconds. All couples will than dance the Fast Jitterbug together for 1.30. In the Jitterbug Solo Show each couple will perform alone 2 minutes to 2 minutes 15 seconds. All three dances are judged separately and the SKATING SYSTEM will be used to determine the order of merit over all three (3) dances.
11. Stage Props and Scenic Background: forbidden
Final round Children and Juniors: is danced according to the one dance system. a. All couples in the final dance 1 minute overview.
b. All couples dance their solo performance one by one and can chose their own music not exceeding 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
c. All couples in the final dance 1 minute closing overview.
d. The Judges will place the couples in order of merit.
e. The SKATING SYSTEM will be used to find the places of the couples.