Age Divisions: See in General Provisions Book 2, 3.4. Age Division.
1. Music: Organizer´s music in preliminaries and semi-final, Organizer´s music OR music of the dancers‟ choice in the final.
2. Duration of Performance: In all rounds except the final, the length of performance should be 1:30 minutes long, to conform to the end of the musical phrase. In the final round, the couple may use music of their choice or the Organizer’s music, which must be 2 minutes of music to the end of the musical phrase, but must not exceed 2 minutes 15 seconds.
3. Tempo: 30 - 34 bars per minute in 4/4 time signature / 60 - 68 bars per minute in 2/4 time signature.
4. Characteristics and Movement: Merengue is a Latin-American Spot Dance, and does not move along the Line of Dance (LOD). Steps are quite compact, and Latin hip movement, at times quite staccato, is used throughout. A slight counter sway is often used to compliment the Latin hip movement. The basic action is similar to a marching rhythm, but many other rhythms, including syncopations, slows, etc., may be used in interpreting the music. Merengue is a club dance, and the couples should focus on one another to create an earthy and sensual feeling through the use of close, intricate rotational movements coupled with an almost playful teasing interaction with one another.
5. Hold: The main part of the performance should be danced with a hold.
6. Lifts: Not permitted. Only in the final in the solo performance in Adults and Junior Division they are allowed14. NOTE 14: Also acrobatic figures are forbidden in Adults and Junior division only allowed in the final when the couples are dancing alone. See pt. 9.
Lifts and acrobatic figures are forbidden in Children´s divisions.
7. Format Qualifying Rounds:
a. In the opening round all couples shall be seen by the Judges in a presentation dance for
1 minute. In the event of many entries and therefore the floor will be too crowded, the presentation dance could be divided in two or more groups.
b. The couples will thereafter be divided into heats. Number of couples or duos in the same heat is depending of the size of the dance floor but should not exceed 6 couples. Each heat will last 1 minute 30 seconds.
c. In the opening round, all couples shall than be seen by the Judges in a closing dance for 60 seconds according to the same rules as for the presentation dance.
8. Final Round: is danced according to the one dance system
a. All couples in the final dance 1 minute overview.
b. All couples dance their solo performance one by one and can chose their own music not exceeding 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
c. All couples in the final dance 1 minute closing overview.
d. The Judges will place the couples in order of merit.
e. The SKATING SYSTEM will be used to find the places of the couples.
9. Forbidden Figures: Acrobatics. Only in the final round, when couples perform alone, it is proposed to allow an acrobatic figure. Forbidden in Children´s age division.
Stage Props and Scenic Background: forbidden